Looking for goal setting questions? Here’s a long list with goal setting questions I use for coaching purposes.
If you want, you can also use them to challenge yourself.
Said differently, you can use these goal setting questions to identify and stretch your own goals.
Why not start right now?
BonusDownload a free checklist 50+ useful coaching questions in easy-to-use PPT format!
Goal Setting Questions – 15 Examples
Effective questioning is a key element of good coaching, including goal setting questions. (It’s the G from GROW)
Here are 15 questions you can use during the Goal Setting phase using the GROW model – the first step of the coaching process
- What is the aim of this discussion?
- What would need to happen for you to walk away feeling that this time was well spent?
- If I could grant you a wish for this session, what would it be?
- What would you like to happen that is not happening now, or what would you like not to happen that is happening now?
- What outcome would you like from this session/discussion/interaction?
- Can we do that in the time we have available?
- What do you want to achieve long term?
- What does success look like?
- How much personal control or influence do you have over your goal?
- What would be a milestone on the way?
- When do you want to achieve it by?
- Is that realistic?
- Is that positive, challenging, attainable?
- Will that be of real value to you?
- How will you measure it?
Want more examples of questions you can ask during the coaching process? Check out this free guide about coaching and the GROW model.
Goal setting questions examples
The GROW coaching model helps you to become a better coach. Now it’s time to put it in practice. I designed a useful GROW Model PowerPoint document with a long list of goal setting questions.
You can start with this list and add your favorite goal setting questions. It’s the best way to put the GROW model in practice!