Leadership quotes: leadership doesn’t have a ‘one size fits all’ definition. But I’m pretty sure you agree it’s an important success component for any organization – large or small.
Leadership quotes help us to discover the most important leadership components.
Leadership quotes inspire us.
Leadership quotes challenge us to reflect upon our own abilities to be a great leader.
Over the years I collected over 250 great leadership quotes.
In this mini guide you will find my 25 favorite ones in 3 different formats:
- Great Leadership Quotes video (thanks Axelle!)
- Great Leadership Quotes infographic
- Great Leadership Quotes list & images
BonusDownload a free checklist : download 100 inspirational quotes about leadership, success, goals and change in an easy-to-use banner format.
This amazing video was made by visual artist Axelle from Axellerator.
Here’s an infographic with 25 great leadership quotes.
1. “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” — General George Patton
2. “Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” —Jack Welch
3. “Leadership is action, not position.” ―Donald H. McGannon
4. “Leadership is not about titles, positions, or flowcharts. It is about one life influencing another.” ―John C. Maxwell
5. “The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” —Theodore Roosevelt
6. “Great leaders are not defined by the absence of weakness, but rather by the presence of clear strengths.” —John Zenger
7. “One of the tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.” —Arnold Glasow
8. “Whatever you are, be a good one.” —Abraham Lincoln
9. “A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of the credit.” —John Maxwell
10. “You don’t lead by hitting people over the head—that’s assault, not leadership.” ―Dwight Eisenhower
11. “To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.” ―Eleanor Roosevelt
12. “The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets people to do the greatest things.” ―Ronald Reagan
13. “Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.” ―John C. Maxwell
14. “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” ―Rosalynn Carter, former first lady of the United States
15. “A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.” ―Max Lucado
16. “To lead people, walk behind them.” ―Lao Tzu
17. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” ―Harold McAlindon
18. “A big man is one who makes us feel bigger when we are with him.” ―John C. Maxwell
19. “Nobody rises to low expectations.” ―Calvin Lloyd
20. “It is better to have one person working with you, than three working for you.” ―Unknown
21. “Leadership is a choice you make, not a place you sit.” ―Robert F. Tucker
22. “A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” —John Maxwell
23. “Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall.” ―Stephen R. Covey
24. “First rule of leadership: everything is your fault.” A Bug’s Life
25. “There’s plenty of room at the top, but there’s no room to sit down” ―Helen Downey
Leadership quotes and more
Here’s a PPT document with my 100 favorite quotes in an easy-to-use banner format.
Feel free to share on social media, website, … [a link back to this page would be highly appreciated :-)]